Optolong OIII Filter - 1.25" Mounted
Optolong OIII Filter - 1.25'' Mounted
Narrowband OIII filter is designed for nebula observation allowing 25nm bandwidth of light centered on a wavelength of 500nm through, which corresponds to OIII emission lines, and reducing the transmission of certain wavelengths of light, specifically those produced by artificial light including mercury vapor, and both high and low pressure sodium vapor lights and the unwanted natural light caused by neutral oxygen emission in our atmosphere (i.e. skyglow).
OIII emits 495.9nm and 500.7nm and it is a blue-green colored filter. Many of images of planetary nebula and supernova remnants are taken only with H-alpha and OIII filters. Show great structural details, have natural colors, looking like an RGB image.
Main Use and Performance
- Suitable for visual observation on most emission nebulae, planetary nebulae and supernova remnants
- Suitable for viewing on bright nebulae like M42 Orion Nebula in heavy light pollution
- Use with a large aperture telescope under clear and dark viewing conditions with good seeing
- Narrowband filter do not eliminate the effects of light pollution or increase the object’s brightness. In many cases, they increase the contrast between nebula and night sky, not brightening the nebula.
- WARNING: The filters of Optolong are not designed for sun observation. DO NOT LOOK AT THE SUN WITH OPTOLONG FILTER. You would be BLIND if you fail to observe the warning.
- Schott substrate material
- Thickness 2.0mm
- Surface Quality: 60/40 (Refer to MIL-O-13830)
- Fine-optically polished to ensure accurate 1/4 wavefront and <30 seconds parallelism over the both surfaces
- 90% transmission at major OIII line 495.9nm and 500.7nm
- Precision off-band blocking, specifically the major emission lines of artificial light pollution (i.e. Na 589nm, Hg 435nm and 578nm)
- Non-cementing optical substrate coating
- Electron-beam gun evaporation with Ion-assisted deposition coating technology for durability and resistance to scratching, as well as stability on CWL(central wavelength) no deviation affected by temperature change
- Planetary rotation system offers precision and homogeneity of coatings ensuring high value on transmission of pass-band and Optical density of off-band
- Ultra-thin filter cell minimize vignetting by maximize possible clear aperture (clear aperture is 26mm for 1.25”; 45mm for 2”)
- Aerometal Material | Precise CNC Machining | Sand Blasting Process | Black Anodized Finish | Extinction Treatment to Prevent Reflection | Laser Engraving No Fading
- Plastic PP Case | Imported High Pressure EVA Case Lining | Silver Cardboard Box | High Density Sponge Carton Lining
- Standard 1.25” & 2” | Round 36mm Unmounted
- The Major Emission Lines of Nebulae
- H-β486.1nm OIII 495.9nm OIII 500.7nm H-α656.3nm
- The Major Emission Lines of Artificial Light Pollution
- Hg 435.8nm 546.1nm 577nm 578.1nm
- Na 598nm 589.6nm 615.4nm 616.1nm